One of the reasons I like making a collage is that you can use (nearly?) anything. And you can make anything–something abstract and head scratch-inducing, or something with a bit more realism, or anything in between. I kept it relatively simple this time. An old Apple (tech, not fruit) box as a base, and a few catalogs from Pottery Barn and White Flower Farm (gardening). Lots of colors to be found in these types of products!
I started by drawing an outline of the image I wanted to make with my collage on the box, a lotus flower:
Then I started the fun part of tearing out pages from catalogs that had the shades of blue, green, pink and yellow that I might want to use. It was a messy process, and mind you, this photo is from AFTER I started trimming pages and sorting into color piles.
And then the gluing! First the sky and water, then the lotus pad, and then the flower petals. My working theory was moving from least perfect to most perfect pieces, so ultimately the pink flower would cover up any rough edges or weird overlaps from lower layers.
It’s not quite finished, but I think it’s coming along nicely:
(I know, I know, Frankenstein wasn’t the monster.)
I decided to make a semi-random/irregular patchwork throw pillow cover out of the scraps from my roses and green quilt (still in pieces and progress).
Just for fun, my rule is that I can only use the true “scraps”: the odds and ends left from cutting the squares and rectangles from the original yardage. I have a fair amount of some fabrics left, enough for a “real” project, so those are off limits. I don’t have any zippers, so I’ll be figuring out how to close the cover with buttons, without making it lumpy and uncomfortable, and without making buttonholes. (I just don’t like making those.)
With those ground rules, here’s most of what I have to work with (minus the striped fabric), some of which has been ironed already:
These ironed out pieces that I’ve started pinning will be one side. I’ll make a piece of fabric big enough to cut what I want out of it–probably on the diagonal, just to be interesting. The green “limes” fabric wasn’t quite wide enough, so I inserted a bit of what I’m calling the green and white “feathers” pattern.
In case you’re interested, the pattern of the pink fabric is called “quatrefoil,” I’m guessing due to the bastardization of the French spelling for “four leaves” (quatre feuille) but I could be wrong.
I’ll repeat the process for side two, but try to include more pink for contrast. I think that side will also have a flap or something that tucks over the pillow opening and fastens inside the cover. I guess that means buttons either on the flap or on the inside of side one. Hmmm.
My hands itch. I want to make something. But not something I’ve already started. Something NEW. Maybe not even something I’ve made before. It’s driving me bananas, because I don’t know what IT is.
It’s times like these that I want a craft laboratory. Someplace stocked with odds and ends that might be useful someday, a day like today that’s made for experimenting.
Or at least has a really big table so I can see all my projects in their entirety at the same time. Which really would be ginormous, considering one is a king-sized quilt. But as long as I’m wishing, the tabletop would also be treated so I could iron on it and use a rotary cutter without damaging it.
But I digress.
What I will not be making today: I had this idea of making gravity blankets for Etsy, but as it turns out they fail the Venn diagram test.
Apparently a gazillion people already recognized an arbitrage opportunity when the original company stupidly priced its (ugly) product at hundreds of dollars.
Hmmm. Maybe something with all the scraps from other projects… we’ll call this Project Frankenstein for now.
It’s a rainy Sunday afternoon and my major accomplishments today include: walking the pup, drinking coffee, napping, and preparing for an upcoming job interview. But most importantly, or at least, most fun, working on my braided rug.
It’s slow-going, but I’m enjoying the process immensely. I get to bounce back and forth between the braiding and the coiling/sewing. With the end of each strand of fabric I can decide what color to add in next. With either braiding or sewing, it’s very straightforward and frees up enough of my mind to wander off in other directions, wrestle with dilemmas, practice some meditation mantras, and so forth.
I do wish the sewing didn’t need to be done on a flat surface so I could cuddle up on the sofa.
Also handy: using strips from an old duvet cover (the center of the rug) as well as new fabric. Even the new fabric wasn’t too expensive: I could hunt around for remnants and end of bolt sales. Some patterns were kind of bleh, but the colors themselves quite pretty, so perfect for my purposes.
Stuff You Missed In History Class: “A Brief History of Redlining” (sad/embarrassing); “Sir Christopher Lee” (very cool); “History Mysteries Double Feature” (creepy and frustratingly unsolved)