“Meh,” the mother of flexibility

Last year I became obsessed with quilting. Not that I knew how, but that didn’t stop me. I should also explain that to me, “quilting” meant the fun part of what is apparently called “piecing” together different fabrics in pretty colors and patterns. The quilting is the boring, annoying, hard part of stitching the “sandwich” of fabric layers together: quilt back, batting (warm stuff), quilt front. I’m told it’s much easier (and faster) if you have a long arm sewing machine, which are a) expensive and b) huge. Plus, any way you do it, you have to have a flat surface large enough to lay out the quilt, tape it down, and pin the layers straight with no bunching.

Do you know anyone with a table the size of a king size bed? Or a hard/uncarpeted floor clean enough to tape delicate fabric to, with no foot traffic?

Meh. So I decided to make a duvet cover instead. So much easier, and more practical for me. With that decision, I magically moved from about 50% to 80% completed on one project. I’m very excited. Perhaps I will even attempt pillow shams.

This is a very springtime duvet cover since it’s all pink, green and roses. Obviously, that means I need three more, one per season, to alternate with my plain white one.

Perhaps “winter” will have a flannel side to be especially cozy. I’m all about the cozy these days. More later on my personal take on the hygge craze.

Project Frankenstein, interrupted

Did I mention my honorific of Fake Auntie?  It comes with all the privileges of spoiling kids, dosing them with sugar, and returning them to their parents.  Also, I don’t change diapers.

I do make excellent baby gifts.  They’re just a little…late… sometimes.  My friend is having baby #2 any day now, so I need to step on it to finish her baby blanket.  It’s 90% done.  The challenge is that what’s left is boring: just sewing on the edge binding.  This blanket has been 90% finished for about 5 months.

So Frankenstein will have to wait a bit until this is done, gift wrapped, and in the hands of USPS.

…On the other hand, Baby #2 will hardly know the difference of a few days, and I am/was on a roll.

Two-thirds of side two of the Frankenstein pillow, still in pieces

I’ve got both sides assembled now, and am dithering over The Great Button Conundrum of 2018. One option would be to make it fasten like a duvet cover. I just really don’t like making buttonholes. Another would involve fabric ties instead of buttons, but I worry that’d look weird/kitschy and be annoying. Hmm.

Maybe now would be a good time to finish that baby present.

Project Frankenstein, Part 1

(I know, I know, Frankenstein wasn’t the monster.)

I decided to make a semi-random/irregular patchwork throw pillow cover out of the scraps from my roses and green quilt (still in pieces and progress).

Just for fun, my rule is that I can only use the true “scraps”: the odds and ends left from cutting the squares and rectangles from the original yardage. I have a fair amount of some fabrics left, enough for a “real” project, so those are off limits. I don’t have any zippers, so I’ll be figuring out how to close the cover with buttons, without making it lumpy and uncomfortable, and without making buttonholes. (I just don’t like making those.)

With those ground rules, here’s most of what I have to work with (minus the striped fabric), some of which has been ironed already:

These ironed out pieces that I’ve started pinning will be one side. I’ll make a piece of fabric big enough to cut what I want out of it–probably on the diagonal, just to be interesting. The green “limes” fabric wasn’t quite wide enough, so I inserted a bit of what I’m calling the green and white “feathers” pattern.

In case you’re interested, the pattern of the pink fabric is called “quatrefoil,” I’m guessing due to the bastardization of the French spelling for “four leaves” (quatre feuille) but I could be wrong.

I’ll repeat the process for side two, but try to include more pink for contrast. I think that side will also have a flap or something that tucks over the pillow opening and fastens inside the cover. I guess that means buttons either on the flap or on the inside of side one. Hmmm.

To be continued…