Remember that baby?

I decided to take off a bunch of hats and actually return to that new baby quilt I mentioned a while ago that was under a pile of fabric.  It’s been about 90% finished for several months.  All that’s left is sewing about half of the border binding, a final wash, gift wrapping and popping it in the mail.  Hmm.  Could even take care of it this weekend and get to the mom-to-be-again before the baby arrives.

The new baby’s big sister LOVES giraffes, or at least went through a giraffe phase, so the blanket has some on one side, and elephants on the other (mixed in with assorted shapes and patterns).  I’m told that big sis is campaigning for baby’s middle name to be “toast” or “door” or “window.” Any of the three would be acceptable. A couple of 6 and 7 year olds I know are advocating “flower power water shower,” “shimmy fizzle pop fizz” and “cocoa pop.”

I started a quilt for big sister, too, thinking it wasn’t fair for the new baby to get all the gifts and attention, but, well, that’s just not going to happen anytime soon… I’m going to hell on my path of good intentions.

I have to admit, a tiny bit (say, 5%?) of my motivation for finishing it is my dire need for storage space and the mental relief of getting items OUT OF MY APARTMENT.  The other 95% is entirely love.

Now my challenge is another friend who just announced her first pregnancy.  Problem:  she’s a better crafter than me.  And she has a long-arm quilting machine.  And more storage space.  What’s a long-distance Fake Auntie to do?  (FYI, we’re calling the baby Office Supply, as the first description of his/her size was “a post-it note with arms and legs.”)

Project Frankenstein, interrupted

Did I mention my honorific of Fake Auntie?  It comes with all the privileges of spoiling kids, dosing them with sugar, and returning them to their parents.  Also, I don’t change diapers.

I do make excellent baby gifts.  They’re just a little…late… sometimes.  My friend is having baby #2 any day now, so I need to step on it to finish her baby blanket.  It’s 90% done.  The challenge is that what’s left is boring: just sewing on the edge binding.  This blanket has been 90% finished for about 5 months.

So Frankenstein will have to wait a bit until this is done, gift wrapped, and in the hands of USPS.

…On the other hand, Baby #2 will hardly know the difference of a few days, and I am/was on a roll.

Two-thirds of side two of the Frankenstein pillow, still in pieces

I’ve got both sides assembled now, and am dithering over The Great Button Conundrum of 2018. One option would be to make it fasten like a duvet cover. I just really don’t like making buttonholes. Another would involve fabric ties instead of buttons, but I worry that’d look weird/kitschy and be annoying. Hmm.

Maybe now would be a good time to finish that baby present.

The Beatles said it best

I saw this painted on a closed shop in Spain at least ten years ago, and I’m so glad I took a picture.  Sadly, this was early in the digital era and it isn’t terribly high resolution, so once I got done cropping the ugly bits around it, well…

Anyway. Knitting has been an obsession of mine for years.  My mom taught me when I was little, and I picked it up again more seriously in college.  I had the delight my senior year of living with several knit-happy roommates. Our spring break trip was to Prince Edward Island (we’re also in love with Anne) and while there we visited a woolen mill and came home with bales of yarn. I still have some.

One of my favorite projects was the Lady Eleanor stole with some fabulous yarn from Taos,  New Mexico.

ladyeleanorstole3The entrelac pattern was intimidating initially, but once you get the hang of it, really quite easy.  Knotting the fringe, however, nearly did me in.  If you have any form of OCD or perfectionist leanings, beware.

I ended up keeping this project, but most of the time they’re gifts.  I like to think about how much (I hope) someone will enjoy something I’ve made for them (or his/her kid), something that might become a hand-me-down or heirloom someday.  Because all you knit is love.

Babies everywhere

You know that time when all your friends are having kids? As a crafter, the first couple are met with “yay, I’m making a cute blanket!” (I have a rule against sweaters/clothes, since who knows what size those kids will be when they pop out?)

But then, blankets get kind of boring. At least for me. And then I discovered Alan Dart meets Beatrix Potter. Magic.

Sadly, his marvelous Beatrix Potter knitting patterns are lost to time, copyright and an out of print British women’s magazine from decades ago. I managed to find a copy (and pay way too much) on eBay, for Peter as well as Jemima Puddleduck and a few others. I haven’t made them yet, but as I owe a few baby gifts…